Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Yay!

I actually got to meet some Los Navios kids today, and they were fantastic! We did our first session with the 8-11 year olds and I did a little introduction about who I am with my scrap book of photos, which they responded to really well. They asked me loads of questions about myself, England and english football players (needless to say I wasn't too hot on the latter topic) and said at the end they were glad I was working with them. I felt pretty elated by the end of the day as I've been waiting for this moment for over two weeks now and it went much better than I had expected. R also seems to be warming to me and has been more chatty; I hope that my positive and enthusiastic interaction with the kids helped her see that I could be a useful and fun member of the team. To round the day off, one of the other tias called me Laurita. This may not seem anything special, but the use of the dimunitive ita denotes friendship and caring so it was a really nice moment.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow and Friday will go just as well.

Another yay goes out to the fact that I have a massive translation assignment to do for VE: I'm so happy that I'm able to work on my favourite language skill while I'm here. Begins with g, ends in k.

And finally: Bombay Sapphire at £5 a bottle. Oh yes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

bombay sapphire -- i;ll be on the next plane.G.J.

Anonymous said...

Well done Laurita! It must have been a warming and rewarding day . Hope you have many others like it.
Grandma has sent a message to Andrew who might send some Arsenal material if the children would like that sort of thing. I dont suppose Leeds United means anything to them these days.
Lots of love ,
Granpa

L said...

Oh yes they'd love that, thanks very much! I will try and give you a call from an internet cafe on Saturday, although it may not work, so if you get a noiseless call it'll be me! Hope Gma's leg is getting better. xxx

Renegade Evolution said...

Uh oh, reasonably priced gin, watch out!

Unknown said...

I will send you an empty suitcase, you will fill it with gin and send it back on a plane and then I will weep with (at first) joy and then mother's ruin. These are your orders.
It all sounds very lovely you lucky duck. Spring has sprung here but I'm still wearing my winter coat, it sickens me to see you in shorts and t-shirt. And don't try and take away from France the prize for shockingly bad TV. It's all they have.
xxx