Sunday, March 18, 2007

All is well

Just a quick one to say I'm very happy! As illustrated by the below photo, THE best hot chocolate I've ever had, which is saying something! It had a whole bar of chocolate melted into it, mmm....





The girls are lovely and I met some of their english friends today who are much more like me than some of the volunteers, so it will be cool to hang out with them. Having said that, I've clicked immediately with some of the volunteers, new and old, which I'm superbly pleased about after the Paris sitution, and get on with all the others I don't have so much in common with as well. L and I went to a reggaeton club on friday night - the most popular music here, kind of like Sean Paul type booty shaking stuff hehe - not me at all but great fun to experience a proper Santiaguan night out. We also managed to avoid jotes (vultures, ie sleazy men), so ten points for us.

On Saturday we had Liga, an inter-institution sports day, where I met some of my kids at last, and they were great fun - though two of the older girls were WAY too cool to join us playing volleyball and hung out by the fence trying to sneak cigarettes and chat to boys, so typical teenagers really. They seemed excited about seeing me again in April, so I'm feeling good about their eventual return to the Centre.

Today I was supposed to meet up with my surrogate Chilean family but they didn't turn up to our meeting - apparently the woman is infamous for being late - so we're going to meet up Friday night instead. They sound really interesting, though : she is a social worker who has particular experience working with victims of domestic violence, and he's a doctor from Cuba. The other families that were there were really warm and enthusiastic, so I think this is going to be a positive experience. Tomorrow, from what I can gather, the psychologists and social workers start doing more planning of activities and home visits in preparation for the children's arrival, so I'm hoping I will have more to do. If not, I'll just work on my translations so it's all good. Ooooo and my friend Billie from Sheffield will be here tomorrow as she's travelling round S. America at the moment so I'm super excited about seeing her. Super = just one of the many americanisms I will no doubt be picking up while I'm here.

But I'm super cool with that, it's all super good fun ;)

Am planning on making a video of my apartment and family here (Camila, Nata, the dogs and the cats!) will put it up as soon as possible. Until then, chau :-) xxx

No comments: